Indoor Generators are a game-changer. There is no need for maintenance and you can manage them without having to leave your house! These small devices are usually lightweight and help to keep all of your necessary electronics running during any emergency blackout.
If you are using an outdoor generator that is too heavy to be carried around and you need to frequently go out of the comfort of your house to refuel it then read this article and find out what you are missing out on!
What is an Indoor Generator?
Before we talk about all the technicalities, let’s discuss what exactly an indoor generator does and why we have claimed it as a game-changer
An Indoor Generator is a small compact and portable unit that is generally charged using a battery. These devices are commonly used as an emergency backup for apartments, and condos as well as for RVing, camping trips, and other traveling escapades.
These generators are eco-friendly and massively reduce the carbon footprint. Furthermore, as discussed above, these units are small in size which means they can be stored in a small space like a closet or a cabinet.
7 best indoor generators for an apartment in 2021
If quiet performance and efficiency are your number one priority then EGO Power+ PST3041 Portable Generator is the right unit for your apartment!
The generator is a battery-powered substitute that provides a clean and portable power supply to all of your essential appliances at any time and anywhere. Furthermore, it can power not only your phones but also a Television, full-sized refrigerators, microwave, induction cooktops, fans, and much more! The capacity of this model outperforms many traditional generators that have 2000 Watts only.
It is perfectly safe to be used indoors as well as outdoors. So whether you are thinking of using it as an emergency backup or for camping, it will work ideally in both situations! With its sturdy steel handles, you will be able to carry this device anywhere you want.
- Produces very little noise while operating.
- Has weather-resistant construction.
- Has a carry handle which makes it easier to be carried from one place to another.
- Charging the batteries take time.
- Has four 5.0 Ampere-hour Batteries.
- Has four USB ports, three AC Outlets (120V), and four battery charging ports.
- Adorns a bright, and visible LED
- Wattage: 3000 Watt
- Dimensions: 33 x 13.26 x 14.51 inches
- Weight: 9 pounds
AIMTOM’s Portable Generator is a powerful and portable device that claims that it can supply a ‘gigantic’ amount of power for all sensitive appliances like drones, cameras, smartphones, and medical devices.
One of the best things about portable generators is that it does not require any maintenance. Since it is rechargeable, there is no need for gas and hence, you will not come across any mess either!
Furthermore, it has one 110V AC port, four USE Ports, three 12V outlets, one 12V carport, and finally a 24V outlet so that you can charge almost 10 devices at the same time without any complications!
It also possesses a small cooling fan which protects the generator from over-current, over-temperature, and overvoltage.
- A reliable source of power.
- Has excellent performance.
- Adorns a cooling fan that keeps the unit from overheating.
- The battery life indicator does not accurately display the battery life.
- Has a 280 Watt-hour lithium battery.
- Features 10 different ports to charge your indispensable electronics.
- Can be charged via a wall outlet, carport, and solar panel.
- Wattage: 300 Watts
- Dimensions: 5 x 5.5 x 5.9 inches
- Weight: 31 pounds
OUTERA’s 300 Watts Portable solar generator has the capacity to charge a smartphone almost 70 times and a laptop about 7-8 times. Furthermore, it can keep a 2-inch Television, a mini-refrigerator function for more than 5 hours!
It has a rated power of 300 watts whereas the peak power is 600 watts. The unit also adorns a pure sine wave AC output which makes it safe to be used on sensitive electronics.
Moreover, to make sure that the unit does not overheat, the unit has a built-in fan that works silently. The impressive aspect is that it operates automatically. Thus, whenever the unit starts to get above the optimal temperature, the fan becomes functional and brings the temperature down.
This model can be a good addition to your classic camping generator.
- It has protection against short-circuiting and power surges.
- Has a silently operating cooling fan.
- Has built-in well-built carry handles.
- Does not display the estimated hours that are remaining judging by the current wattage being used.
- It has a large capacity of 298 watt-hours.
- It has nine different outlets.
- Also has a pure sine wave.
- Wattage: 300 Watts
- Dimensions: 9 x 5.5 x 7.5 inches
- Weight: 5 pounds
Jackery’s Portable Solar Generator is the ideal device to have in your apartment, especially if you live in an area that is susceptible to power outages. The unit possesses a 240 watt-hour lithium-ion battery that works exceptionally to light up all the necessary appliances around the house.
Furthermore, it features one AC outlet, 2 USB-A ports, and one DC carport so that you can always charge the most important devices like laptops, drone, and mini-cooler. One of its striking features is its ability to recharge itself in four different ways! It can recharge using a solar panel (the company recommends to use Jackery Solar Saga), via a wall outlet, car outlet, and even another generator!
- Reliable power supply for power outages as well as outdoor activities like camping, hiking, etc.
- It is cost-efficient, saves energy, and is eco-friendly.
- A small and lightweight device that can be taken anywhere.
- It can only charge small appliances like a Small heater, Laptop, Lighting, Small electric blanket.
- Has a 16.4 Ah lithium battery.
- Possesses several types of outputs to power various devices.
- Can be charged in 4 different ways.
- Wattage: 200 Watts
- Dimensions: 19 x 9.05 x 7.67 inches
- Weight: 6 pounds
With its stunning lithium polymer batteries, Rockpals Portable Generator can charge a multitude of different electronic devices without any trouble. It can charge a 2500mah smartphone 2 times, a 50W laptop 3- times, a 60W refrigerator, and even a 75W Television!
This device accompanies 250W continuous dual AC outputs, two USB 2.1A, and four DC 12V outlets. Thus, it is a very reliable candidate that can be used during emergency backup. It can be charged using a solar panel, a wall outlet, and a car socket!
It is a sine wave inverter which helps to reduce the electrical noise that one can hear in the microwave, fans, or TV.
- Can charge any electronics within the range of 110v-250v.
- Compact and lightweight unit.
- The charging time of different devices using the generator is very fast (approximately 40%).
- Does not support devices that have voltage above 250 volts (rice cooker, coffee machine, microwave oven).
- It is a pure sine wave inverter.
- Adorns 240 Watt-Hour lithium polymer batteries.
- Can be recharged using three different ways.
- Wattage: 250 Watts
- Dimensions: 86 x 3.94 x 6.3 inches
- Weight:5 pounds
Westinghouse iGen160s is a strong, robust, and reliable generator that is ideal for people who are looking for a portable, lightweight, and compact unit that can power all of the essentials in case of an emergency power outage.
With Ratted 100 Watts and Peak 150 Watts, it can power different lights, headlamps, speakers, and several smart devices as well. One of its most convenient features is that it can be charged in three different ways –wall outlet, carport, and solar panel. Thus, this also makes it the ideal generator to take with you if you are traveling.
Another great feature is the built-in flashlight/lamp which eradicates the need to have an emergency flashlight with you all the time. Just carry this generator with you and you will be fine.
- A lightweight unit that can easily be stored anywhere easily.
- Has quiet operation.
- Comes with protection against short circuit, overload, over-voltage, over-current, and low voltage.
- It is hard to initially start the unit.
- It possesses two 120 volts outlets, four USB ports, and three 5mm DC outputs.
- Has built-in lighting that offers 3 different modes.
- Can be charged via a wall outlet, carport, and a solar panel.
- Wattage: 155 Watt
- Dimensions: 7 x 3.77 x 8.14 inches
- Weight: 5 pounds
One of the first things that you will notice about the Goal Zero Yeti Portable Generator is how silently it operates! Yes, while we cannot deny the fact that every generator makes some kind of noise, we can however guarantee that this unit has the lowest operating noise.
With a robust battery, the unit has a surge power of 600 watts whereas provides continuous power of 300 Watts. Due to its power, it can charge almost seven different devices at the same time.
It can charge a phone approximately 30 times, and a laptop 5 times which makes it ideal for emergency power outages. Furthermore, it can be recharged using three very accessible ways; via a wall outlet, a carport, and a solar panel!
- Can charge 7 devices simultaneously.
- Has quiet operation.
- Cost and energy-efficient.
- It tends to take a lot of time to charge.
- It has a 369 Watt-hour lead-acid battery.
- Is a pure sine wave inverter.
- Can be chainable with another 33 Ampere-hour lead-acid battery.
- Wattage: 600 Watts
- Dimensions: 8 x 10.25 x 8 inches
- Weight: 29 pounds
5 Benefits of the indoor generator vs. fuel-powered generator
1. Can be stored indoors
Indoor generators are extremely small in size and most of them weigh less than 10 pounds. So, these units are much easier to store as compared to fuel-powered generators.
While the former can be stored in any cupboard or at the side of your stuffed storeroom, you need to take precautionary steps while storing a fuel-powered generator. You need to make sure it does not have any gas/fuel in it because it will deteriorate the quality of the generator and then store it in a safe place, away from your living space.
2. Costs less
Indoor generators also cost less since they do not have additional costs of fuel and maintenance. These units can be charged using a small wall outlet, a solar panel, and even a carport! Thus, this makes them the ideal choice for people who are on a budget constraint.
Also, since there is no fuel involvement in these devices, there is no need to check the fuel tank and clean it out after every few weeks.
3. Zero noise
Every device that works creates some noise but indoor generators are much more silent than the fuel operated units. Many of the devices have an operational noise of 53 decibels or below.
If we talk in technical terms, 52/53 decibels of sounds are similar to the operational noise coming from an electric fan or a refrigerator. Since they barely make any noise; these are perfect for people who live in complexes, apartments, or condos!
4. No fuel required
Indoor generators charge and recharge themselves using electricity. They do not need any fuel. This makes them a safe and sound power station that can be kept inside your house without any difficulty.
On the other hand, if you purchase a fuel-powered generator, you will have to keep it in an open space, preferably away from your house.
5. It’s eco friendly
Since indoor generators use no fuel; there is no sign of fumes and exhaust. Most fuel-powered generators dissipate carbon monoxide gas which is dangerous for human beings. If someone consumes it in large amounts, it can even be lethal. Thus, Indoor generators eliminate this safety hazard.
6. No need in remote start options.
Traditional generators are not that handy and can not be kept indoors. Hence, remote start is a very valuable option for them. However, there’s no need in the remote start for this class of devices.
7. No need to protect from weather
A traditional generator should be stored outdoors. This involves protecting it from bad weather such as rain. With an indoor generator there’s no need in extra devices such as a cover or a canopy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What indoor generator would be good for an apartment to use for the refrigerator?
Refrigerators usually use 400-800 wattage to work. Thus, if you are planning to buy an indoor generator that can power your mid-sized refrigerator then choose a unit that has a minimum of 2000 watt generator.
What are the best brands of indoor generators?
While this largely depends on the users, the following are the best brands for indoor generators and we have also mentioned their most high-rated product in this category.
These brands have a large loyal customer base who adore how smoothly and perfectly most of their products work.
- Ego Power+ –EGO Power+ PST3041 Portable Generator
- Jackery –Jackery Portable Solar Generator
- Rockpals –Rockpals Portable Generator
- AIMTOM –AIMTOM Portable Generator
Can portable generators be used while being charged?
It is not a good idea to use the generator while it is being charged. These appliances can heat up while they are in use. So, if you charge them while they are being used, then it might result in overheating which is extremely hazardous. It can also deteriorate the quality of your generator as well.
Wrapping it up
Power Outages can occur at any time. Unfavorable weather conditions are one of the major causes of power outages. Sometimes, unfortunately, a bird or a tree branch comes in contact with the power lines and it can cause an instant blackout in the entire neighborhood.
As the famous saying goes ‘It is better to be safe than sorry’. So, it is better to equip yourself beforehand so you do not face any issues when it happens.
Indoor generators are typically portable generators that we mainly use to power all the major and essential appliances we have at home. As a homeowner, we believe having a standby generator can save you from financial losses and unnecessary stress.
Personally, we think EGO Power+ PST3041 Portable Generator is the most optimal device if you want a clean, reliable, and powerful unit that can keep major appliances like a refrigerator as well as lighting functional during an emergency power outage.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a small, lightweight device that can help you charge small sensitive electronics like your phone, computer, and tablets, then we think AIMTOM Portable Generator is the best.
We hope this article proved to be useful for you and helped you get more knowledge about the indoor generator and which ones are the best in the market! Good luck in finding your ideal device!